My submission for Restless Anthology has been submitted. It’s still close to the deadline, but it’s almost a day early.
What I’ll about it is…it’s beefy. They had a cap, and I hovered ever-so-closely to it. That’s with my edit.
For what it’s worth, this is something I actually fretted over a bit. This thing was heavily edited, which is also something I don’t usually do with my own stuff. usually a polish and that’s about it – unless copious notes are sent my way [which happened].
There was some apprehension with this one – so I sent out a line to see if anyone was interested in taking an alpha peek at this story. Thankfully, a friend of mine took a look. He also passed it onto his significant other.
No clue what she thought, but it seemed she had a favorable opinion. He liked it but added a massive amount of notes to it; making me very happy actually. I really enjoy feedback- and actually take it, opposed to a hefty amount of folks I know.
[edit: I did get permission to post some of the notes I received. Stay tuned.]
It seemed the worst criticism on that first draft was it read too much like a screenwriter. I could(n’t) deal with that. I liked the idea, but did add more description here and there. Most notably, the descriptions of a few rooms. The most descriptive I got with a locale was a vehicle (which had a very favorable reception).
My original draft was 10,158 words. I reworked most every passage and with all the additions and subtractions, I got it worked down to 9,282 – a tad under the 10k cap.
There was talk about splitting it up, but I worry about it. I gave a progress report at last month’s EVal meeting, and there was talk of staggering it over two issues. I hinted maybe splitting it in half but within the same issue. Then maybe I’d get a chance at people reading it if they skipped over it the first time.
Time shall tell…